The Century Center for the Performing Arts in Manhattan will present an evening of 10-minute musicals and songs written by members of the BMI Lehman Engel Musical Theatre Workshop May 15.
Recommended by the nonprofit songwriting workshop's steering committee and selected by Bick Goss, director of the Century's Musical Mondays series, pieces in The BMI 10-Minute Musical and Song Extravaganza were previously heard only in the bubble of the well known nonprofit workshop, where songwriters hone their musical theatre writing craft.
The 8 PM event, which is free (although donations are accepted), will include:
• Houses, a 10-minute musical. Music by Drew McVety, lyrics by Amanda Green. Performed by Don Stephenson, Emily Loesser and Sean McCourt. Musical director is Alfredo Alvarez.
• "Once Again" (song). Written and performed by Elise Morris. • "My Love is Free" (song). Lyrics by Donna Kaz. Music by Ken Lai. Performed by Amy Schmidt. Musical director is Gerald Stockstill.
• Nuthin', a 10-minute musical. Written and performed by Mark York and Tony Buckley.
• "Miss Dunlap's Lament" (song). Written by Charles Kelman. Performed by Jane Smulyan. Accompanied by Ed Goldschneider.
• "I Just Met a Man" (song). Written by Nancy Stark and Gerald Stockstill. Performed by Amy Schmidt with Gerald Stockstill on piano.
• "Death by a Thousand Cuts" (song). Written by Jenny Geiring and Beth Blatt. Performed by Sally Wilfert. Accompanied by Randall Eng.
• "And Everybody Sings" (song). Written by Nancy Ford and Mimi Turque. Performed by Daniel Marcus.
• Genealogy, a 10-minute musical. Written by Dan Martin and Michael Biello. Performed by Rose McGuire, Jane Smulyan, and James Roggenbeck. Dan Martin at the piano.
• "Daddy's Shoulders" (song). Written by Amanda Green and Ned Ginsberg. Performed by Amanda Green, accompanied by Alfredo Alverez.
• "Pull Yourself Up" (song). Written and performed Davia Sacks.
• Trapped Family Singers, a 10-minute musical. Written by David Strickland and Ellen Schwartz. Performed by Jerry Coyle, Tommy Michaels, Nora Mae Lyng and Michael Brian. David Strickland at the piano.
• "After All These Years, Hello" (song). Written by Joshua Zavin and Michael Policastro. Performed by Jane Smulyan and Jerry Coyle. Accompanied by Ed Goldschneider.
• No Trouble at All, a 10-minute musical. Written and performed by Donna Kaz and Gerald Stockstill.
For reservations call Bick Goss at (212) 982-6782 ext. *(star) 819. The performances are in the Century Ballroom. The Century Center is at 111 E. 15th Street, off Union Square.
-- By Kenneth Jones