Good Thing by Jessica Goldberg will be given a reading at the Public Theater on May 14 at 7 PM as part of the "New Work Now!" series.
Goldberg has seen her work staged by the Blue Light Theatre Company (The Hologram Theory) and Playwrights Horizons (Refuge) in recent seasons. Her new piece is about Mr. Roy, who works in a high school and has some peculiar former students, including a couple of addicts and a streaker. The action begins as they all meet by chance in a sneaker store.
"New Work Now!" was founded in 1995 as part of the LuEsther Lab and intended for the development of new work. "New Work Now!" readings which had later graduated to full productions in New York include Diana Son's Stop Kiss, John Camerson Mitchell's Hedwig and the Angry Inch and Blur by Melanie Marnich (currently playing Manhattan Theatre Club), as well as Kit Marlowe by David Grimm, References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot by Jose Rivera and Topdog/Underdog by Suzan-Lori Parks. The last three are all featured in the Public's 2000-01 season. Parks' Fuckin' A was part of last year's series and was recently announced for the 2002-03 Public season.
Upcoming readings include:
• May 15: Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner by Luis Alfaro
• May 16: Bel Canto by Daniel Alexander Jones
• May 17: Movies by Christopher Walken
• May 18: The Superfriends of Flushing Queens
• May 19: The Dinosaur Within by John S. Walch
• May 20: The Story by Tracey S. Wilson All reading are at 7 PM and are free and open to the public. The Public Theatre is located at 425 Lafayette St. Reservations are suggested. Call (212) 260-2400.
—By Robert Simonson