Labor Crisis Forces Cancellation of Two More St. Louis Symphony Concerts

Classic Arts News   Labor Crisis Forces Cancellation of Two More St. Louis Symphony Concerts
 
The St. Louis Symphony has canceled concerts scheduled for January 15 and 16 because of the work stoppage that began on January 3.

The orchestra has now canceled four concerts over two weekends because of the labor crisis. Ticket holders may exchange their tickets for a future concert or receive a refund.

No additional concerts have yet been canceled, the orchestra said in a press release.

This weekend's concerts were to have been conducted by Nicholas McGegan; SLSO violinist Alison Harney was scheduled to perform Mozart's Violin Concerto No. 5.

Despite the work stoppage, musicians will perform tonight in a special concert to benefit the victims of the tsunami that struck Asia last month.

The SLSO musicians' contract expired on January 2; the work stoppage began the next day, after musicians rejected the most recent offer from management. Musicians continue to refer to the stoppage as a lockout, while management says that it is a strike.

The major issue separating the two sides is pay: musicians, who accepted a pay cut three years ago, say they deserve a raise; management says that another pay cut is necessary to preserve the orchestra's fiscal health.

No talks are currently planned, a spokesman for the orchestra said.


Recommended Reading: