Beginning Dec. 8, these tickets, usually ranging in price from $140 to $295, will be available for $25 through the Internet-only lottery system. Entries for the drawing to purchase these seats will be available only at the Met's web site, www.metopera.org.
The $3 million dollar cost to underwrite the program has been contributed entirely from among the Board's 45 managing directors.
"Although supported by the full Board, the idea for this program came from Agnes Varis," said General Manager Peter Gelb. "The Board wanted to demonstrate its support for the public in this difficult time."
Dr. Varis, a managing director on the Met Board, and her husband, Karl Leichtman are also sponsors of the Met's popular Rush Ticket program.
"This generous donation from the Met Board is a continuation of our efforts to broaden the public for this great art form. In this time when people are so concerned about the economy, we want to make sure everyone has an opportunity to come and experience the Met from the best seats in the house," said Dr. Varis.
Beginning December 8, every Monday through the end of the Met season in May, opera-goers can sign up for the "$25 Weekend Tickets" drawing at the Met's web site. The drawing from all the entrants will be held on Tuesday morning and winners' names posted on the web site by 12 noon. Winners may then call Met Ticket Service at 212-362-6000, or go to the Met Box Office, to buy their $25 tickets, which must be paid for by Wednesday evening at 5 PM.
The tickets will be for Friday and Saturday night performances only, and will vary in number each week depending on availability. Thirty-one performances will be offered on the "$25 Weekend Tickets" program.
Summary of the Met's Discount Ticket Programs
1. "Weekend Ticket Drawing" ("$25 Weekend Tickets") - for Friday and Saturday evening performances only, subject to availability.
- Monday: entry forms can be filled out and submitted only on the Met's web site, www.metopera.org, beginning at 10 AM through 11:59 PM EST
- Tuesday: the drawing is held and names posted on the Met's web site at 12 noon. Winners will receive an e-mail notification.
- Wednesday: tickets must be paid for either by phone (212-362-6000) or at Met box office by 5:00 PM on Wednesday.
- Limit of two tickets per entry.
2. Varis Rush Tickets - for Monday through Thursday performances only. 200 seats available at each performance.
- Day of performance: 150 tickets available at the Met Box Office, beginning two hours before curtain time.
- Day of performance: 50 senior citizen tickets available by phone beginning at noon. Proof of age required when picking up tickets at the Box Office.
- Limit of two tickets per customer.
Visit The Metropolitan Opera for season schedule and further information.