The web release of June 3 represents the first shipping date, but orders for the 79-minute release were being taken as early as May 30 at psclassics.com.
Antonio Banderas and the troupe of Roundabout Theatre Company's Nine recorded the revival's cast album April 28 at a Manhattan studio. The album is produced by PS Classics co-founder Tommy Krasker and Nine composer-lyricist Maury Yeston.
The 1982 show by librettist Arthur Kopit and Yeston is now in revival at the Eugene O'Neill Theatre, with Banderas as the Fellini-like auteur having a personal and professional crisis as he turns 40. Fans know by now that the score's Act One song, "The Germans at the Spa," has been cut. The musical, inspired by the film "8 1/2," was a Tony Award-winning sensation in 1982, taking the Best Musical prize over Dreamgirls. The revival is up for eight 2003 Tony Awards.
The new cast album (which represents the revival score in its entirety) includes synopsis and essay by director David Leveaux, complete lyrics and more than 24 production photos.
Krasker co-founded the independent label PS Classics with Philip Chaffin. The label is devoted to the heritage of Broadway musical theatre and American popular song. The label recently recorded the original cast album of My Life With Albertine, the new Ricky Ian Gordon-Richard Nelson musical seen at Off-Broadway's Playwrights Horizons. PS Classics' most recent release is a new studio recording, "The Maury Yeston Songbook," with stars including Betty Buckley, Laura Benanti, Sutton Foster, Brent Barrett, Brian d'Arcy James and more. For more information, visit www.psclassics.com.
The new cast album's track listing is:
1. "Overture Delle Donne" (Company)
2. "Spa Music" (Company)
3. "Not Since Chaplin" (Company)
4. "Guido's Song" (Antonio Banderas & Company)
5. "My Husband Makes Movies" (Mary Stuart Masterson)
6. "A Call from the Vatican" (Jane Krakowski)
7. "Only With You" (Antonio Banderas)
8. "The Script" (Antonio Banderas)
9. "Folies Bergeres" (Chita Rivera, Saundra Santiago & Company)
10. "Nine" (Mary Beth Peil)
11. "Ti Voglio Bene"/"Be Italian" (Myra Lucretia Taylor)
12. "The Bells of St. Sebastian" (Antonio Banderas & Company)
14. "Unusual Way" (Laura Benanti, Antonio Banderas)
15. "Contini Submits" (Antonio Banderas)
16. "The Grand Canal" (Antonio Banderas & Company)
17. "Every Girl in Venice" (Deidre Goodwin & Company)
18. "Amor" (Antonio Banderas & Company)
19. "Only You" (Antonio Banderas & Company)
20. "Finale" (Antonio Banderas & Company)
21. "Simple" (Jane Krakowski & Laura Benanti)
22. "Be On Your Own" (Mary Stuart Masterson)
23. "I Can't Make This Movie" (Antonio Banderas)
24. "Getting Tall" (William Ullrich)
25. "Reprises" (Antonio Banderas & Company)