Following CBS' live broadcast of George Clooney's "Fail Safe" on April 9, television executives have offered Clooney the opportunity to do an additional four live shows for the network, Playbill On-Line has learned.
Sources indicate that Clooney has yet to accept the CBS offer, and the producer/star of "Fail Safe" is considering possible source material for the shows. While he is said to favor remaking proven material (the original "Fail Safe" program was broadcast at the height of the Cold War), Clooney has yet to rule out original material altogether.
In The New York Times last week, CBS president Les Moonves described Clooney's "Fail Safe" as "a solid success." Clooney characterized the show in the press by saying it came in "a strong second" in the ratings. Overall, Moonves said, the show ranked 13th in the weekly ratings, with a reported 15.9 million viewers.
While Clooney and CBS are attempting to reform the content of television by producing teleplays with a sense of theatrical value, theatre's new media companies like Broadway Digital Entertainment and Broadway Television Network remain busy bringing traditional theatrical content to a mass audience.
-- By Murdoch McBride