The smoky Aug. 26 blaze at 1612 North Wells Street apparently started as a grease fire in the Adobo Grill restaurant on the building's first floor and spread to the offices. Four injuries were reported: three firefighters and a worker in the building.
The offices were destroyed, but the fire did only minor damage to Second City's four theatres at 1616 and 1608 North Wells Street. The Tribune reported that there was two feet of water in the floor above one of the Second City theatres. Firefighters held off on breaking a hole in the floor to drain it, out of concern for the theatre space.
Performances there resumed Sept. 21, but 100 office workers have been scattered since the fire. They will now be housed in the 16th and 24th floors of the Tribune Building, for which Second City signed a 14-month lease.
Classes have been relocated to Tribeca Flashpoint College, Fourth Presbyterian Church of Chicago and Columbia College.
Second City CEO and co-owner Kelly Leonard previously posted on his Facebook page, "Almost 30 years of my stuff at Second City is burned and gone.... But it's just stuff. The people are what's important."
Second City is considering hosting a benefit in support of the firefighters who helped save their theatres.