Nederlander Theatre

Nederlander Theatre

01_NED_OPEN_2400.jpg

The Nederlander Theatre opened as the National in 1921. Financed by theatre agent Walter C. Jordan and designed by William Neil Smith, the National soon became the southernmost Broadway theatre as other nearby venues faced demolition. In 1959 impresario Billy Rose purchased and renamed the theatre for himself. In 1978 the Nederlander Organization purchased and refurbished it, renaming it the Trafalgar. Two years later it was renamed in honor of founder David T. Nederlander.

Read Full "At This Theatre"
  • Built: 1921
  • Number of Seats: 1232
  • Stage Door: Actors exit through the main 41st St. entrance.
  • Bathrooms: Ladies and Men's: Mezzanine level.
  • Concessions: Orchestra and mezzanine level, and on the theatre's third floor.

Owner History

Apr 3, 1979 - Jun 27, 1980 Laurie Marsh Theatre Owner/Operator
Apr 3, 1979 - Jun 27, 1980 Ray Cooney Theatre Owner/Operator
Apr 3, 1979 - The Nederlander Organization Theatre Owner/Operator
Feb 10, 1966 - Apr 3, 1979 The Billy Rose Foundation Theatre Owner/Operator
Oct 18, 1959 - Feb 10, 1966 Billy Rose Theatre Owner/Operator
Dec 1, 1927 - Oct 20, 1931 Shubert Theatre Corporation Theatre Owner/Operator
Sep 1, 1921 - Dec 31, 1927 Messrs. Shubert (Lee and J. J.) Theatre Operator
Sep 1, 1921 - Dec 31, 1927 Walter C. Jordan Theatre Owner