It's time for Equity and Equity eligible actors all over the U. S. to try their luck in the the League of Resident Theatres (LORT) semi-annual Lottery auditions in New York. Stage actors now have a chance at winning an audition for a whole bunch of casting people from prestigious theatres across the country.
Here's how it works:
Actors will be selected by lottery. Selected actors will attend a preliminary audition for three representatives from LORT theatres. The first set of auditions will be preliminary auditions, held Wed. Dec. 3, Thurs. Dec. 4, and Fri. Dec. 5. Actors who give outstanding preliminary auditions are invited to attend general auditions--for casting members from theatres all over the country. The general auditions are: Mon. Dec. 8 and Tues. Dec. 9.
Here are the rules and regulations for entry:
(1)All eligible performers may submit one entry. In the case of duplicate or multiple entries, your entry will be disqualified. Also Note: Performers who were previously granted active "audition eligibility" status under the former "eligible performer" system and who have current, active cards may submit entries into this lottery.
(2) You must be an Equity member, paid up through Nov. 1, or a current, active eligible performer (see (1) above).
(3) A verification of this will be made.
(4) You may not audition if you have auditioned in either of the last two LORT auditions (fall 1996 and spring 1997).
(5) All entries must be mailed or hand-delivered to: 1997 Fall LORT Lottery (New York), AEA Audition Department, 165 W. 46 St., NYC 10036, Attn: Tony Nicosia, Director.
Entry requirements are as follows: (A) Mail or bring in a 3x5 index card with the following information printed clearly: your name as it appears with Equity, your correct address including zip code, your home and service numbers including area code, your Social Security number, and, if applicable, your eligible performer card number. (B) A self addressed, stamped business-size envelope with the address of where you will be two weeks prior to the audition, so that you can be notified. (C) If you are mailing in your entry, include your 3x5 card and self-addressed stamped envelope in a business-size envelope. (D) Entries must be received at the New York Equity office during regular business hours, Wed. Oct. 1-Fri. Nov. 7 at 5 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
(6) Note: This is a lottery. Entry denotes your acceptance of the audition time drawn for the preliminary audition. The same applies, if chosen, for the general audition. Therefore, changes or conflicts will not be accepted.
(7) If your entry is drawn, you will be notified by letter of the time, date, and place of your audition. Lists of those performers chosen will be posted in all Equity offices approximately three business days after the drawing. It is recommended that you check these lists.
(8) If you cannot attend your audition, call to cancel your appointment as soon as possible. If New York Equity does not hear from you, it will assume that you are attending. If you fail to cancel your appointment and do not show up at the audition, you will be ineligible for the next two LORT auditions. To cancel your audition appointment, call any of the following offices: New York, (212) 869-8530, ext. 302; Chicago, (312) 641-0393; Los Angeles, (213)462-2334.
(9) For the preliminary audition, you will have two minutes of actual audition time. Stage managers will have two minutes of interview time. Choice of material is yours, but be advised that an accompanist is not provided for musical auditions. However, the audition rooms are equipped with pianos.
(10) Plan to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your preliminary audition time and bring four pictures and resumes. If you are coming from out-of town, bring an extra 20 pictures and resumes, should you be asked to attend the General Auditions.
(11) If you are selected to participate in the general auditions, you will be notified by phone of the date and time of your audition.
(12) Should you choose to have an audition partner, said person must be an Equity member (see (1) above). Be advised that only your picture and resume will be submitted.
(13) For those of you who will be traveling to New York and need hotel accommodations, Equity advises you of the following hotels that offer a discount for Equity members: Hotel Edison, 228 W. 47 St., NYC (212-840 5000); Days Hotel, 8th Ave. and 48 St., NYC (212-581-7000); Ramada Milford Plaza, 270 W. 45 St., NYC (212-869-3600).
Playbill On-Line wishes participating actors break a leg!
--By Blair Glaser